Spring Dresses

I recently completed a couple of Spring dresses. The fabrics were purchased a couple of years ago, but it took a little while to find what I deemed just-the-right-pattern for each. The first dress is from Laura Ashley/McCall's 5039 (now out of print), made in a very sweet pale pink calico


and trimmed with cream-colored lace.


My only modification to the pattern was to add ties in the back. (I always seem to need them.)


The second dress is the Prairie Girl Dress by My Favorite Things. Several of their patterns are on my "To-Sew" list, including a couple of super-cute jackets. This dress features a faux slip, a detail I love, love, love.


Here's a back-view. The cotton I used for this doesn't drape as much as I'd like, which makes my butt look a little more ample than it really is, but I love the fabric nonetheless. Hopefully, the drape will improve with washing.

Here you can see the print on the fabric a bit better. It's kind of a filigree, with little hearts. Also, you can see the lace and rick-rack I used to trim the slip & dress. (Please excuse the blinding whiteness of my legs...)

I don't think I'll be able to wait for warm weather to show these off. Fortunately, I think they'll be great with my tall brown boots - a favorite weekend look for me recently, as we've had more and more sun but not very much warmth. I layer a spring dress over knee socks or leggings and tall boots, and top it all off with a cardi and perhaps a beret & scarf. What are you wearing this spring?

Comments

  1. Wow, back to the future for sure. When I was about 19 I made a dress very similar in style to the Laura Ashley dress. I made it out of a soft lilac dotted swiss. I made thread loops for button holes on the sides of the dress and had a long lilac satin ribbon that I put through the loops and tied in the front. I think it may have had a little Peter Pan collar but can't remember for sure. Anyway, I loved it! The other dress is cute as well!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Mom, that sounds beautiful! Too bad it isn't still around.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts